Thursday, January 6, 2011

Made To Crave - Cave To Cravings Responsibly

Cave to the Cravings Responsibly
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Angie_Strader]Angie Strader

You have worked hard all week eating healthy and making smart choices. You took the stairs at least one more time than usual this week and you might have even parked farther out in the parking lot and on top of it, you got in all of your scheduled workouts. Congrats! Then it hits you, that overwhelming craving for something on your 'do not eat' list. You actually felt it sneaking up on you yesterday and you ignored it. You did find yourself standing at the pantry and refrigerator door about fifteen times hoping that there really might be something sweet (or salty - depending on your vice) in there to snack on this time. If you are like me, the best I can find is a bag of baking chocolate chips leftover from holiday baking. I just cannot pull myself to eat those now that they turned a funky chalky white color and I finally throw them away. Then the craving mounts... It becomes bigger than you. You get irritated. You decide to find something healthy instead and will the craving to go away. Nope. It is still there. Know what happens next? Yep - you make it a mission to fulfill that craving no matter what and you do. Not only do you fulfill the craving, you manage to eat enough to fulfill the craving for you and five of your closest deprived friends as well. Shortly the aching starts. Not the bellyache from all you ate, but the aching you feel from beating yourself up. It's a cycle doomed to repeat itself unless you look at this whole mess another way.

There are ways you can healthfully manage the cravings. One way is to find a healthy substitute for your craving right away and be done with it. For instance, if you are craving chocolate chip cookies, have one small portion controlled snack pack of chocolate chip cookies. Savor each cookie and enjoy the flavor. Don't just break open the bag and inhale. There aren't that many pieces in a snack pack and if you cram them quickly, your mind will not register it on the craving satisfaction meter. Essentially, it is as if it did not count at all. There are many 100-calorie snack pack options available now and if you take the time to enjoy them, you will usually find your craving is satisfied and you are able to go on with life without obsessing over cookies. My newest satisfaction substitution is the Chocolate Shakeology. *Commercial Alert* Seriously, I was craving something sweet the other night and I made myself a chocolate Shakeology shake with one cup of nonfat milk and lots of ice. I blended it in the blender until it was thick and creamy and it was so yummy! I satisfied my craving with an indulgent 210-calorie shake that is loaded with nutrients vs. the full-fat version that can come in over 500 calories! I am not a fan of anything chocolaty in the morning so I have a Greenberry Shakeology every morning and that made the Chocolate Shakeology a real treat for me. Anyway...

Another way to handle the craving madness, and one that is truly reserved for those with very strong will-power, is to indulge in a small (and I mean smaller than RDA standards, not yours) amount of the one thing you are craving the most. For me, that would be ordering a piece of apple pie ala mode and sharing it with the others at the table. If I get others to agree to share, I am less likely to scarf it all down myself and risk the evil stares from those that didn't get their share of the pie.

A suggestion for those that work in an office environment - you know that traditionally vending machines are full of temptations and traps. Stay away from that trap. Buy a supply of your favorite portion controlled snack packs or maybe miniature chocolate bars and have a friend keep them for you in his or her office or desk. The trick is, you will have to find a buddy who has their own vice, preferable different than yours and you make an agreement to also hold their snacks. When you want a snack, you will have to go to your buddy to ask for it. This may help prevent you from eating two or three packs at one sitting. Just make sure you aren't pilfering through the stash you are holding for your buddy!

The point is that you do not have to deprive yourself completely when a craving strikes. There are ways to manage through and come out satisfied on the other side. Do not wait until you cannot take it anymore and then overindulge. Be proactive, make smart choices, and allow yourself the occasional controlled delight. You will feel better if you do and trust me, the world around you will be thankful you did because you are much happier when you are content.

My name is Angie Strader of More Happy Health, and I am an independent Team Beachbody Coach. As a Coach, I can help you make the right diet, exercise, and healthy lifestyle choices, and motivate you to stay on track to reach any goal. Being a Coach allows me to combine my passion for helping people and years of healthy living into a successful business. I personally know the challenges of staying healthy, fit and happy. I have always been curvy and proportioned, but keeping my weight down has been a struggle for me. I have had several periods in my life in which I was in great shape, but without keeping up high-intensity I would start to gain it back and I'd give up. Most recently I lost 19 inches and felt great! Then with a demanding work travel schedule I gained back 12 of those inches. I had enough and decided to get back to working out and my daughter introduced me to Turbo Jam - it was love at first workout! I have since lost those 12 inches and have moved into the ChaLEAN Extreme 90-Day workout system. I can't wait to workout each day and I'm feeling great! Joining the Team Beachbody community was absolutely the right choice for me. It is such a powerful combination of products and tools, not to mention a great group of people who all share the same goals and make up the best support system ever. I created the More Happy Health blog to help others with fitness, nutrition and motivation tips and stories. Visit More Happy Health and let me know how I can help you reach your goals: http://morehappyhealth.wordpress.com/

Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?Cave-to-the-Cravings-Responsibly&id=2342165] Cave to the Cravings Responsibly

No comments:

Post a Comment